Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Dental Story (Part 2)

Warning: Be sure to read Part 1 first. It really sets the mood!


In the last few years, I have had problems with my teeth. I started biting my cheeks and tongue frequently while eating. Also, my only point of contact between top and bottom is with my front teeth -- this has caused excessive wear, and so temperature and pressure sensitivity to these teeth. It has also started causing painful headaches, for example, when I rest my head in my hands. So, when Renee and I moved to Connecticut, I found an orthodontist with lots of positive referrals, and started treatment this summer.

In order to fix my bite, the solution is to either shorten the space for my lower teeth (Boo!) or enlarge the space for my upper teeth (Not-quite-as-Boo!). Because of the cheek-biting, we're going to enlarge the top. This involves expanding the palate in the roof of my mouth. An appliance has been attached to my top molars, which contains threaded screws pointing at each molar. In the middle is a gear-box, which is turned using a small key. As the key turns, the screws push out, thus widening the palate. Using one or two turns a day for a few weeks should reposition my teeth enough to fix my bite.

This works in children, because the sutures that connect the upper jaw to the skull are still open; the pressure from the appliance can actually push the two halves of the palate apart. If you are past a certain age, then the device only works if you first have a surgery that breaks those sutures again. The procedure itself will not take too long; roughly two hours. First, I'll be put under general anaesthesia. Then, the surgeon will lift my upper lip and make an incision above my front teeth. This is to gain access to the palate. Going through that hole, the surgeon will insert a chisel and break apart the two halves of my palate. To be sure the break is complete, he'll go ahead and use the expander to widen my palate a little.

This will be the first time I am put under general anaesthesia, which probably has me the most worried right now. Even though I know the relevant statistics (such as, only 1-in-350,000 dental surgeries involving general anaesthesia lead to an anaesthesia-related death), I'm not too keen on being knocked out. "Irrationally terrified" is perhaps a better description.

The other fun part will be the gap between my front teeth as the expander goes to work. The gap can grow as large as the width of a full tooth. This is charmingly cute in a six-year old, but perhaps will not do so much for me. But at least Xavier and I should be able to match! I've never thought of myself as being too concerned with appearances, but now I spend a lot of time thinking about what my students will think when I go back to teaching in the fall. Eek!

So, I'm freaking out a little before my surgery this Thursday. Just thought a blog post or two might help calm me down.

p.s. - If you're like yesterday me, you didn't know that "suture" could refer to certain bone connections. Here's a wikipedia link which confirms my usage.

5 comments:

amydove said...

I had a palate expander in high school to prepare me for braces. Turning the crank every day really hurt - I remember a dull pain in my jaw the whole time that thing was in there. Maybe it will be better for you with the surgery? And yes, the gap tooth is an awesome look. But I don't remember it lasting very long. If I could survive it in high school then you can do it now!

Abbe_M said...

Wow, sorry you have to have all of this done, Chris! But it sounds like it will help you to feel better. I probably should get invisalign at some point (my dentist has recommended), but my situation doesn't sound quite as serious, and we can't afford now, so I'm putting it off. I definitely understand not wanting to deal with dental things! But you'll be fine. I went under general anesthesia for the first time in 2007, and I was scared, but it was fine. We'll be thinking of you!

Andrew said...

I like the part where they will stick a chisel in your face.

Chris said...

Thanks. I'm sure it will all be fine, I'm just not really looking forward to it. But it will all be over tomorrow! Thanks again for the well wishes!

dereksh said...

How did it go? I've had some unpleasant dental adventures recently, but nothing like this!