Monday, August 11, 2008

I caught a fish THIS big!

While we were recovering from jet lag in Morgantown, we went to Chris' parents' farm. At the farm, there is a lot to do. They have a fruit orchard, a vegetable garden and two large ponds, where you can fish. The ponds are stocked mainly with bass and bluegill, but there are a few catfish too.

Chris' father, Chris and I arrived early in the morning to go fishing. We were equipped with a container of live worms. Due to the high quality bait and our fishing prowess; everyone met with success!

Chris and his dad each caught some bass and bluegill. But I definitely "won." I caught a huge catfish. As you can see, I'm not lying when I say "I caught a fish THIS big!" He was pretty heavy and took a while to reel in. Yay me!

I got the chance to help in the scaling/gutting process. It's so messy, but I love it. In the end, the catfish (and his laughably small bass/bluegill buddies) were also filleted, breaded, baked and devoured for dinner.

Later in the day, Chris' mother and the golden retrievers (Tanit and Livy) joined in the fun. We harvested peaches, early apples, and two huge baskets of blackberries. So fresh! So delicious! It's enough to make anyone consider renouncing their current job to become a farmer.

No comments: